what we do
Cryo Energy Tech has developed a proprietary cycle of using atmospheric air as part of a thermal energy conversion and storage system. The process includes the conversion of a zero cost fuel source (waste heat or solar thermal) into high value secondary forms of energy such as electricity and portable power. With the continuous integration of waste heat, our COP (Coefficient of Performance) can exceed 1, resulting in a electricity in/electricity out ratio of nearly 1:1. Our ability to adjust a system design from 100s of kilowatt-hours for use with a microgrid storage to 1000s of megawatt-hours for utility scale grid storage, along with time shifting of power from several hours to several weeks, opens the door for many different competetive use cases.
Here are just a few areas where our process can be very beneficial:
- Co-Generation of Power based on waste heat Combined Cycle - Over 20% more output with same fuel consumption rate
- Remote/Portable Power - Mobile Power Generation and Motive Power (see link for more details)
- Emergency Back-up Power
- Energy Storage for microgrid
- Energy Storage for large C & I clients
- Energy Storage for grid scale projects
- Supplement LNG operations
- Supplement ASUs (Air Separation Units)
- Provide feedstock for industrial gas production
- General Compression for various industries
Step 1. Clean and capture air
The first step of the cycle is to capture the atmospheric air to remove debris and any other foreign objects. The pressure of the air increases using a multiple phase process to help minimize the level of temperature rise. The air now has moisture removed while recovering some of the energy that starts the cycle.
step 2. convert air into liquid
The method of condensing atmospheric air into Liquid Air, Liquid Nitrogen, or Liquid Oxygen has been established for over 100 years. However, we have optimized this step with the ability to include waste heat. Other methods rely on using waste heat from the compression step, however that approach is adding back energy that was already wasted. Our process results in a true net gain in output by applying outside waste heat that increases the overall amount of work that is available. The more waste heat added to this part of the cycle, the more "cold" becomes available to increase the overall yield of the now liquefied air. Thus, we turn useless "hot" into a valuable "cold." The waste heat can also extend the storage time of the existing liquid as described in STEP 3. The air that is compressed during STEP 1 provides the "cold" that is necessary to condense the air into liquid state. Additional filtering can be applied when needed before the liquid enters storage.
Step 3. storage
Storage capacity is where thermal based energy systems really shine and our cycle is no different. A large increase in capacity is possible with little additional resources. For example, increasing the capital 2x can provide over 4.5x increase in overall capacity. Our cycle stores the liquid at low pressure so the cost of the storage vessel is minimized with the use of lower cost materials. Storing cryogenic material is an established industry with existing vendors and suppliers. If waste heat is included during STEP 2, storage time can be increased to several weeks with minimal losses.
Depending on the use case, the liquid can be used as is or converted back into power by reversing the steps. When mechanical or electrical output is required, the liquid reverses state back into a gas, just as it started in STEP 1. Part of the proprietary cycle includes our process of reversing the state efficiently. Applying waste heat during this step can also significantly increase the round trip efficiency of the overall cycle. Our reversing process results in a compact design that is applicable for motive power (transportation).
vs battery Systems
Battery based systems receive plenty of attention, but there are many limitations to such systems. Here's a few of the advantages our Cryo technology has over battery based systems:
- Since our technology stores thermal energy as a liquid, rapid refueling is possible, often within 5 minutes or less. Next, we can easily store, transport, and deliver energy to where it is needed the most.
- Our raw material is non-toxic and available everywhere on the planet (atmospheric air). The material is also unlimited which further provides unlimited scalability.
- Materials never need to be replaced with a system service life of multiple decades.
- Can operate anytime anywhere with no temperature or geographical restrictions.
- We convert waste heat that is often thrown away into valuable electricity, portable power, or stored for later use.
- Remove impurities from the local air (including CO2) leaving the surroundings cleaner than before.
Systems built on our cycle can be any size required, operate everyday for multiple decades, convert discarded waste heat into useful energy, and provide rapid refueling all while cleaning the air of the local surroundings. Benefits that batteries can NEVER provide.